Today our Rights Respecting School Steering Group had their first meeting. The children had an in depth look at article 12 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child which states
“Every child has the right to have a say in all matters affecting them, and to have their views taken seriously.”
We then had a little chat about how we, the steering group are going to work to promote our rights around the school and help our peers have our rights met each day.
We have come up with some lovely ideas including
- Making posters to display around our school
- Making PowerPoint presentations to share at assembly
- Using iPads and cameras to capture moments of children having their rights met
- Writing letters to members of the community to invite them to be a part of our steering group
- Coming up with activities that can be carried out in our classes by our teachers.
Next time we meet, we will be focusing on article 31
“Every child has the right to relax, play and take part in a wide range of cultural and artistic activities.”