We are excited to be back for another term. It was great to have a break to recharge our batteries and now we are enthusiastic and positive at the start of this new term. This post will detail the planned learning for this term.
In Term 2 our Maths and Numeracy focus will be Fractions. During this, P5 will focus on:
● Compare and ordering fractions.
● Using knowledge of division to find fractions of 2 and 3 digit numbers.
● Recognising equivalent fractions.
● Showing an awareness of the link between fractions, decimals and percentages (1/2 = 50% = 0.5).
● Taking part in a range of practical and group activities that explore fractions in more meaningful ways and real life settings.
In the second part of Term 2, P5 will focus on Time. During this topic P5 will:
● Discuss the difference between 12 hour and 24 hour notation.
● Read and record both 12 hour and 24 hour notation.
● Convert between 12 hour and 24 hour notation.
● I can calculate durations of activities using both 12 hour and 24 hour notation.
● Interpret timetables and calendars to plan an event or activity.
In Literacy P5 will:
●Create imaginative, functional and personal pieces of writing which will be linked to our two contexts for learning in Term 2 – Inventors and Inventions and St. Peter’s Arts Festival.
● Use accelerated reader for self directed reading opportunities within a specific reading range.
● Work through comprehension and reflective reading activities.
● Use talking and listening opportunities linked to our context for learning to present talks or google slides to the class.
● Work in co-operative groups to take part in debates where learners will share opinions and discuss their thoughts and feelings in a respectful way.
Our contexts for learning throughout Term 2 will be Inventors and Inventions (Oct/Nov) and St. Peter’s Arts Festival (Nov/Dec). Opportunities for learning throughout these contexts are detailed in the images below.
Health and Wellbeing
We are extremely lucky to be offered the chance to learn more about hockey in a 6 week block at Aberdeen Sports Village throughout November and December. This will be every Thursday from 10.30-11.30 starting in 9th November – 14th December.
Mrs. Kelman will continue to work with P5 during Health and Wellbeing class lessons. This term Mrs Kelman will be covering aspects of Achieving and Nurturing from the SHANARRI wheel.
Due to our Hockey block our new P.E day is Thursday for Term 2. Children can come to school in suitable P.E clothes and trainers on this day. Our RADS day remains on Tuesday and children can wear suitable outdoor or indoor shoes on this day.
Homework will be set on Monday and handed in on Friday. Homework will be set on google classroom and the programmes used for homework are Education City and Boost Learning. Any pupil who doesn’t have access to a device at home can make arrangements for paper based homework with Mr. McFadden.
P5 will present their class assembly on Friday 10th November at 2.15pm. The focus will be on Remembrance. Parents and Carers are invited to join us for this event. P5 will send out invitations soon! Thank you.
We look forward to updating you on our learning weekly on Google Classroom and once again on our school website towards the end of Term 2.